By the time you finish this post, you’ll have a slew of new ideas to improve the quality of your life and the lives of others through creativity.
#ARTBREAKMONTH is coming!
Plus, if there’s a hashtag in front of it, it’s a big deal 🙂 In all seriousness, Art is important – see, Telegraph says it even fights off disease!
Can creativity save you life? YES.
So stop what you’re doing…right now!!!
I’d like you to take an Art Break.
It’s Art Break month actually. See, it’s okay if there’s a national month for it! (And a hashtag!)
Art is Moving
Art is Moving’s Vision
- To show that art needs to be everywhere and experienced by everyone.
- To get more people involved in the art world and get the art world more involved in the public.
- To show that art breaks down boundaries in many ways.
- To promote the notion that creating art should be a daily practice.
- For art to be accepted by professionals and the general public as an important tool for social and cultural interaction and growth, education, creativity, health, and happiness.
“Give yourself a giant kudos for taking the leap to be a creator everyday this September. As you know, at your core, art making and its amazing process feeds your soul, gives life meaning, and is so frick’n empowering.
Are you ready? Have you made preparations for this 30 day journey?
Here are some of my ideas to help you prepare for this amazing and beautiful adventure:
- Plan ahead. Buy a journal or composition book to map out and plan your 30-days of art
- Make time. Block out your creative time on your calendar ~ make a schedule
- Be organic. One day maybe you want to create for 5 minutes. The next day maybe you’ll go art crazy for 5 hours. Give yourself that creative freedom
- Observe and take note. Notice where in time and life you are right now and granting the space within you to create
- Befriend your inner critic. Who cares if you miss a day? Just begin again and take the leap. Just do it! Check this motivational video out HERE and smile!
- Enjoy the ride. This is an amazing experiment in the Art and Life.
- Lastly, always remember any negativity that comes up in this 30 day challenge, is asking you to heal and transform it. It needs attention and wants your love. Find that space and create because that is the space you’ll find treasure and pure gold.
We would love to hear about your preparations for this month of art empowerment. We would love love LOVE to see your creations. Document and hashtag your work and process with #ArtBreakMonth and we’ll find you.”
They said it and I definitely endorse it! So transform your living space, doodle on a napkin, bake a vibrant hue of red velvet cake – spray paint to music – GO!
Or check out http://artprompts.org/ which is a random art prompt generator – how cool is that?
Artists who inspire me
Getting Involved: Where should you start?
What are creative ways that you get involved in your community? As a kid, I remember admiring my mother bringing food to people’s homes for Meals on Wheels. Later on, I started leading singalongs for elderly homes. It’s wonderful to contribute to organizations or programs near you by doing what you love. I just read about Craft Hope – you can create arts and crafts that are donated to others for a greater good.
There are so many ways to be generous, to help others, to give back, simply by doing what you love. Giving back connects us, and giving love makes us feel love in return, helping us overcome any obstacle.
Arte Escondido is an arts organization that I am thrilled to support. You can read my article on their site. Another organization that truly resonates with me is Blissful Bedrooms – a wonderful foundation that artistically transforms the bedrooms of those with disabilities.
Art Gives Back
Have you teamed up with a group near you to give back? Tell me about it or send me a picture. I’d love to learn about them and share the information on my site – together we are stronger! These are some of my favorite causes for art, healing and creative expression.
If you’d like to find an arts or healing organization in your area, Check out the Art & Healing Network . there are a TON of resources, all listed by state! You can also submit an organization if you don’t see one listed.
Once we start telling our stories, it’s hard to stop. Realizing we’re not alone is exciting!!!
So join the movement with Art is Moving and tell your story (or take a BREAK from your story) with Art Break Month! You can always read some of my tutorials to get you started, or my personal source of craftporn – http://craftgawker.com/
Art is Moving, so let Art move YOU!